What is an HTTP Cookie?
An HTTP Cookie (also known as web cookie, Internet cookie, browser cookie, or simply cookie) is a small piece of data sent from www server and stored on your (user’s) device used for browsing (computer, tablet, phone etc. ) by web browser. These stored data are used to improve your website experience, by remembering certain events. In many cases, Cookies are required for site to work correctly. Usually cookies store information such as: site name, cookie lifetime and random number (which is used as browser ID).
Why do we need Cookies?
- Cookies allow to adjust site content to individual user preferences, their usage optimizes site browsing experience. Cookies allow to recognize user (browser) and display page accordingly.
- Cookies also allow to create statistics and thus better understand how the webpage is used. Thanks to this we can adjust site design and content to leverage user experience.
- In case of logging in session is maintain thanks to cookies, so you do not have to login on each and every subpage.
Cookies are also commonly used in many site functionalities like: counters of visits, pools, e-commerce, advertisements and to track other activities. Cookies make sites faster and their design, content and advertisements are optimized for user convenience and aligned with their interests. Cookies allow us to better understand purpose of your visit.
Please note that information stored in cookies never contain user personal data.
Different types of Cookies and their lifetime
On POSitiveCinema.com websites we use three different types of cookies:
- Session Cookies (transient Cookie) – temporary files that are erased when the user closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary memory – it is not retained after the browser shutdown. These files do not collect information from your computer and does not personally identify the user.
- Permanent cookie (persistent Cookie, stored Cookie)- these files are stored on your computer hard drive until their expiration dates. These files can also be deleted by user. Permanent Cookies are used to collect information about the user, such browsing behaviour or preferences.
- External Cookies (third-party Cookies) – These files come from external services like Google Analytics and are used to gather analytical data.
Cookies make our site work better thanks to these files you get better browsing experience and some of your actions may be remembered.
Thanks to cookies page performance is optimised (we get information describing way you use our website, how you walk through and what kind of inconveniences you whiteness – Cookies help to identify and repair errors and make sites more user friendly).
Cookies make Web page work better – thanks to Cookies site can “remember” users and their personal settings (like language). This makes pages more friendly.
If you feel that Cookies are a threat to your privacy, you can turn them off in your browser settings.
Information about cookie settings in most popular web browser can be found below.
Cookies may be manually deleted using browser and system setting.
Cookies in mobile devices.
Mobile devices can handle Cookies in different ways. You should check privacy setting of your device and relevant information on manufacturer page.
Storing data about user and events
Storing period of information connected to cookie files, user ID or displayed advertisement ID will be stored on connected Google Analytics Account is 26 months and will be renewed during every interaction with page.
Turning off Google Analytics tracking
If you would like to prevent Google Analytics from collecting data regarding your activities on site. Google released web browse add-on blocking Java Script used by Google Analytics (ga.js, analytics.js, dc.js).
This add-on can be found on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en
Google Analytics safety and privacy rules